Minutes for the November 25, 2008 Meeting
Minutes and action items for the November 25 meeting.
HLR is no longer actively conducting outreach with community groups, but is available to make presentations if approached.
Th City is holding two public meetings in December to provide an update on the rapid transit initiative.
- Action: encourage HLR members to attend the public meetings.
Metrolinx RTPMetrolinx voted to approve its Regional Transportation Plan (RTP).
Council voted unanimously to support light rail as long as Metrolinx pays all the capital costs; but Metrolinx has made it clear that they expect the city to put in some money for light rail - maybe 10 or 15 percent.
For the next couple of years, the city's capital spending is constrained by Red Hill costs; and after that the city's priority will be expanding its wastewater treatment facilities.
We need to figure out how the city can afford to put some money toward LRT as well.
Here are some spending projections for a total city contribution of $40 million or $60 million:
|Total Capital Budget (millions)|
In late January, the City's Rapid Transit office will present a report on Metrolinx's expectations for Hamilton.
- Action: Peter to attend the Metrolinx RTP meeting.
- Action: Ryan talk to Scott Stewart about capital budget plans.
- Action: Think about possible creative ways for the city to raise money - e.g. some kind of public fundraising campaign.
- Action: See about getting delegate status at open city budget meeting.
The next HLR planning meeting will be Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 7:30 PM at the Bread and Roses Cafe, 27 King William St. (b/w James and Hughson), Hamilton.